Sunday, 28 September 2008

Just arrived in Italy

The II/3 IR has now arrived in Italy joining the Austria forces preparing to meet the Corsican Ogre. It is not planned to undertake any offensive actions until the cavalry arrives (within the next month).

Monday, 22 September 2008

A new unit and period

Yes, I succumbed again to creating another Frundsberger unit to assist the Austrians. This time it will be an odd battalion of the third (Welle) regiment with green facings.

The emperor requested our assistance yet again to meet the Jacobin threat and three full infantry regiments were mustered into Imperial service. Most served on the Rhine/Danube front. But somehow the II/3rd Regiment was detached with an Austrian division and sent to Italy to fight the French there.

The unit is actually a number of left-over Esci 1806ish Prussians, whose fate I had been pondering when the idea struck me. In one step it helps in the building of my counter-revolutionary Austrain army and also extends the Frundsberg saga. Hurrah!

Sunday, 21 September 2008

All quiet - or was it

(xxx-1683) Report from Colonel Sturm to the Stadtrat

Sirs, I regret that to the Ottoman activity and other problems it has been difficult to communicate over the last few weeks. Our forces have twice marched out to drive off the Ottoman forces threaten our camp and supply lines.

I regret to inform you that during the first of these engagements the whole of our infantry was routed by the Ottomans, only the coming of nightfall and the staunch resistance of our cavalry prevented a complete disaster.

On the second occasion we managed to hold our positions, although one of the Austrian regiments was routed by a horde of Ottoman light horse when they mis-timed their volley and the horse were in amongst them before they had chance to fix their bayonets.


Just catching up on a succession of games played at the club, while working up the rules. We did try a Might and Reason version just splitting the Austrians into two armies. There were some nice ideas in the rules, but some of the results were just out of keeping for the period so it was ditched.

We then tried a full blown battle using the Ottomans and Austrians, this time back to the SYW modifications I'd used in the previously reported game. It was better, but still didn't quite have the correct fell for the period, the Austrians were too vulnerable, not helped by my deploying them too tightly.

The last game was a re-run using a number of changes I had been pondering for the SYW. It worked a lot better, but as suspected the dice rolling was a bit too variable. ( A complete failure to hit anything was a partial cause of the light horse over-running a formed foot regiment)

I'm getting there but rather slowly.