Friday 21 March 2008

A troubled day

To Lady Olivia Omagh

I write this in haste as we withdraw to the next position to hold these invaders. We held a strong position at Greenford, but their numbers and discipline overcame us. In particular their rifles were deadly and many officers in Colonel O'Reilly's battalion were downed by their fire leaving the men leaderless. I was lucky in that their main thrust was on their left while my battalion occupied our left.

From my position our plan worked as intended as the enemy foot marched into our enfilade position and suffered horribly as a result, however these yellow coated French mercenaries are anything but yellow. They simply reformed their ranks and counter attacked my men assisted by a green coated battalion. We fought bravely but were driven from out positions. But I an proud to say that of all our infantry my battalion was the only one not to have run at some point in the battle

.I shall write as soon as I have further news.

Your loving husband

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.