Thursday 14 April 2011

A respite?

Returning downstairs from a task, Juli cringed, the only other person present in the servant's hall was Albert, who seemed to take an interest in everything she did. Although he was only slightly older than her, he been there a short while longer and he seemed to be doing well, partly because of his persistent volunteering for any task, however unpleasant.

Just then the Butler entered and seemed disappointed to find none of his usual targets there. “You girl, Juli is it?”

“Yes Sir” replied Juli not sure if being remembered by the Butler was a good or bad thing.

“How old are you?”

“Thirteen, I think sir”

“and can you read?”

“I’ I’ I know my letters, sir”

“Please sir, I can read”

”The butler glowered “I didn’t ask you. Juli, get upstairs and help Suzanne clean the Duke’s office”

No comments: