Sunday 14 March 2010

Invasion planning

“Now gentlemen back to our plans” said the Colonel.

“Obviously our first step will be to delay the French as long as possibly while crossing the Sommerland. Clearly the French will try and develop a systematic approach to crossing the ditches, so we must come up with some innovative ideas to keep them guessing and slow them down as much as possible”

The discussion then covered all sorts of potential stratagems that might work depending on the French approach.

“Excellent gentlemen, I’ll sleep on your creative ideas and consider how we can best use them but please let me know if you have any other thoughts. Now once the French have crossed the Sommerland, which they will eventually, I will retire with the regulars up onto the Pidnem hills and continue a fighting withdrawal. Ideally I would like all those militia without family commitments to assist”

Major Grabner the Welle militia commander spoke while Major Liebnitz from Frommel nodded in agreement “We have already split our men to be able to do this. The result should be that you have a battalion capable of moving with your main body”

“Good, so those who remain in Welle and Frommel will hide their equipment and disperse until the time is ready to strike at the French rear.”

“Major Stollen, what is the situation with the Freishutz?”

“Very much the same sir, two companies of the younger men will accompany me with the main body and the older men will support the local militia.”

As the meeting drew to a close Friedrich’s thoughts wandered to what excuse he could use to drop by the Weisse Rossl on the way back to camp.

As the officers departed the Colonel turned to him. “Friedrich, I would normally invite you over to the Weisse Rossl as well, but this evening my daughter and I have much to discuss, so I hope you will indulge me”

“Of course sir” said Friedrich

3 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Oh, darn, there is that father in the way . . . *sigh*.


-- Jeff

Frankfurter said...

Jeff beat me to it!
A

NOMADIC OLD SCHOOL GAMER. said...

Remindes me of a maxim for fathers with daughters,"If the father does not restrict gentleman callers then just anybody will fill up the parlor."